Sunday 25 July 2010

Phone freakery

The landline rang at ten past midnight, jolting us out of the first stages of sleep.

I picked it up. Said "hello." Nobody there. I depressed the receiver in order to dial 1471, but the line stayed open.

Then a female voice with a faintly discernable American accent hissed: "You're gonna die," and put the phone down.

1471 revealed no caller's number.

Freaked me out a little, I can tell you, despite JP's assurances that this would be either completely random or a wrong number, and nothing whatsoever to do with me.

Why do people do these things?

She was right about one thing though, whoever she was. I am going to die. So is she. We all are. It's the only sure thing.

For the moment, however, I prefer to concentrate on living.

3 comments:

  1. How on earth did you get back to sleep after that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With difficulty. It was kinda weird. Makes you wonder what the back-story is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right to focus on living. As for why people do these things - who knows. Whoever made that phone call, I wouldn't want to be inside that person's head. Guessing it's a dark place. Lucyx

    ReplyDelete