Wednesday 16 June 2010

Cancer convalescence is a walk in the park

Rob took me to Bradgate Park near Leicester today. It was the home of Lady Jane Grey, who was queen for nine days, before they beheaded her. Poor Lady Jane, she was only sixteen. Afterwards they decapitated some of the trees in solidarity.

Here are some pictures of the various ruins, follies and animal-life there. This peacock very kindly gave me one of his feathers. I thought that was a good omen, then a woman in the teashop told me peacock feathers are unlucky. But of course I don't believe any of that superstitious rubbish.

7 comments:

  1. Look at those fabulous feathers - anything that beautiful has to be a positive thing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pollarding....thats what is called when you decapitate a tree...

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a lovely peacock. He stood and posed for the camera for a while then as he moved off dropped a feather right in front of me.

    Pollarding.. that's why some of us are gardeners and others aren't. It made the trees grow outwards rather than up so they were wide and not very tall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Here are some pictures of the various ruins, follies and animal-life there."

    Hey, don't be so rude about Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah but which is he? Or perhaps all three??!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob has always been something of a peacock.

    (Incidentally, I'm "Anonymous". I can't seem to post under my name. :(

    Hong Kong Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for putting me in your scrap book!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete