Thursday 3 June 2010

Military diplomacy

I phoned Colonel Sensitivity yesterday. Big mistake. He told me I might as well write off the next four and a half months because chemo will make me feel so dreadful.

And he knows best, because he knows one person who's had it. One! I've spoken to dozens!

According to him my optimism is foolishly misplaced. I should prepare for the absolute worst so as not to be disappointed. And to avoid infection, I must not go out and not see anyone.

He said: "Do you think you've got the mental strength to deal with this?"

Well I'm doing ok so far. I've had two killer diseases before the age of 50. Two more than he's ever had.

Is this the way he motivates his troops?

He then wanted an argument about politics, but by then I'd had enough.

And as usual I thought of all the things I should have said after putting the phone down.

I only phoned up to speak to his wife. She deals in compassion and empathy where he deals in conflict.

5 comments:

  1. perhaps he needs a hug?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could suggest what he needs - but delicacy forbids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let the buggers get you down Clare. If what works for you works for you, keep doing it.
    And in answer to his question, yes I do think you have the mental strength to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds an insensitive baboon.

    -- David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!
    Thankfully most of the people I talk to are encouraging, life-affirming people.
    Some people have asked who Colonel Sensitivity is; he is not a member of the medical profession, he is someone I'm related to. He probably means well!

    ReplyDelete