Sunday 13 June 2010

'Hear all, see all, say nowt;

'Sup all, eat all, pay nowt; and if tha ever does owt for nowt do it for thysen.' (traditional Yorks saying).

Have been in God's own country this weekend visiting lovely people in Wetherby. My mother, rest her soul, would be horrified to hear Yokshire thus described. When I was growing up the wars of the roses still waged in our household; in her Lancashire head they were still fighting. Yorkshire puddings were off the menu, and she once sent me off on a walking holiday near Whitby with the warning: "Watch out for those Yorkshire farmers. They'll shoot you."

Personally I find Lancashire and Yorkshire people very similar. They exude warmth and community spirit and have a way of speaking their minds which is refreshing to someone of a more southern disposition.

We cycled to Spofforth. Sounds like something out of Harry Potter, doesn't it? There is a ruined castle there - shown in the pic. We went to the pub of the same name.

Then it was back to Notts for barbecues and more barbecues, before the British summer intervened once more.

Chemo starts on Friday. Now it's getting close I want to get on with it so I can get it over with.

3 comments:

  1. but if everyone said nowt then there'd never be owt to hear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true..

    I've heard a very similar expression in North Notts but they say 'note' in said of 'nowt' and 'oat' in stead of 'owt'

    ReplyDelete
  3. My limited IT skills are stopping me from commenting on latest blog entry re: peacock, so am commenting here instead - just wanted to say, look at those fabulous feathers - anything that beautiful has to be a positive thing.

    ReplyDelete