Monday 28 June 2010

Margaret Higgins: 3 September 1952 - 26 June 2010


Margaret, who I knew in Manchester, died on Saturday.

When I arrived in the city in '94 to start a new job and not knowing a soul, Margaret was one of the first people I met. She and her family were warm and welcoming.

They were true stalwarts of the community. All sorts of people with all sorts of issues beat a path to their door and found sustenance there. The Higgins were Christians in the purest sense of the word; giving and non-judgemental.

Last week Margaret phoned to find out how my chemotherapy went. Although very breathless and in the last stages of her cancer, she still found time to ring me. One of her talents was calligraphy and this is a card she made me years ago when I was in a low spot.

Her charismatic faith shone out beacon-like and led her to some interesting places, such as Hong Kong where she worked with addicts and former Triad members, and Belfast where she pioneered for peace among communities on both sides of the divide. In latter years her belief sustained her through each stage of her terminal illness.

She has now gone to meet her destination. She will be missed by many. May she rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. What lovely words - not only in Margarets beautiful card but in the way you write about her clare...she sounds like a remarkable woman..I'm sorry for your loss x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to echo Joy's comment - it's a lovely tribute. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete