Friday 22 October 2010

First in last out


Last chemo!! No more gory pictures after this one - promise!
Booked a nine am appointment for my fnal chemo in the hope  I'd be out quickly. Finally emerged after treatment at nearly NINE PM!

NHS time excelled itself today:
9am: Arrived. Advised to wait for doc to approve bloods.
12 pm: Wednesday's bloods not up to scratch. Had another blood test.
12:15pm Went home to wait for results.
3pm: Phoned - bloods now ok. Advised to come back in an hour.
4pm: Returned to chemo clinic
7pm: Called in for treatment.

I was the last one out - at ten to nine in the evening - nearly 12 hours from the original appointment time.  Despite being allowed home for a few hours in the afternoon, still spent SIX HOURS in the clinic waiting room. Long enough to read the whole of Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

Nobody's fault, really. Just one of those days of big delays. The nurses were run ragged. Never mind. None of this matters because after today there'll be no more chemo!! Yay!

Just three weeks recovery time then I will be able to discard the thermometer, get fit again and lose the paranoia about germs. This time round I hope to avoid being admitted to hospital.

3 comments:

  1. well done - this is a major milestone. (from Elaine x) ps it might be me but I had trouble posting this - this is 3rd attempt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Sometimes Blogger decides to do upgrades which don't always make life easier - I'll have a play around with the settings to see if it makes it better.

    ReplyDelete