Friday 7 May 2010

Hang Parliament

As the future of British politics stays suspended in the air, I've been hanging out in cafes with Jules. First time out in public since emerging from hospital. It all helps in the normalisation process.

Having something life-threatening can make you appreciate the mundane - corny but true. We sat in Le Mistral, sipping Earl Grey, the buzz of ordinarly life around us, and it was wonderful.

I have been walking very slowly around places I normally run through, stopping to talk to old men on park benches, pat dogs, sniff at blossom and photograph trees.

Yesterday my bosses came, bearing chocolate and poems. They are part of the tidal wave of good will that has engulfed me since my diagnosis, helping to make this cancer chapter a bizarrely positive experience.

3 comments:

  1. You make the most of this time, you'll be back 'in he thick of it' before you know it (from Elaine x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your recovery Clare, thinking of you. "He who limps is still walking"
    Loads of love from Janet D, Luton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Janet, lovely to hear from you. I've just limped to the pub for the first time since my op. Made me feel better, I can tell you!

    ReplyDelete